Kansas Employer USD #493 RISE Center - Specialized Self-Contained Classroom/Special Day School Paraeducator in Columbus, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12674645
The job of theSpecialized Self-Contained Classroom Paraeducatorwas established for the purposes of assisting in the supervision, care and instruction of students with significant disabilities in an intensive self-contained classroom in an SEK Interlocal shared program; assisting in implementing plans for health, safety, social/emotional, and academic skills to meet functional and basic needs; providing behavioral interventions; providing information to appropriate school personnel; all under the direct supervision of a certified special education teacher.
The job of theSpecial Day School Paraeducatorwas established for the purposes of assisting in the supervision, care and instruction of students with severe social, emotional, and behavioral disabilities in the special day school setting.This position assists in implementing individualized education plans for social/emotional, safety, health, and academic skills to meet the functional and basic needs; implementing behavioral interventions plans, monitoring student behavior, data collection and reporting, providing information to appropriate school personnel, all under the direct supervision of the special education teacher.
Responsible to:Special Education Teacher; District Administration; SEK 637 Administration.
- Assists students on a daily basis with medical and/or nursing designated procedures (e.g. tube feeding, tracheotomy suctioning, toileting, brief changing, seizure protocol, etc.) as well as addressing personal care needs (e.g. hand washing, nutritional, etc.) and for the purpose of providing appropriate care for medically fragile students.
- Implements behavioral plans daily for students as designed by the IEP team for the purpose of assisting in meeting special education students needs and providing a consistent environment under the direction of certified staff.
- Assist students daily with challenging and/or aggressive behaviors.
- Ability to maintain composure and self-regulate in stressful situations when student behavior escalates and/or becomes aggressive.
- Implements education and behavioral programming daily under the supervision of the classroom certified staff for the purpose of developing new skills for students.
- Directly instructs students in a variety of activities in individual and group settings (e.g. academic subjects, social skills, daily living skills, etc) for the purpose of meeting IEP goals under the direction of certified staff.
- Directly assists students throughout the entirety of their school day within a variety of school environments and/or community environments (e.g. rest rooms, playgrounds, hallways, bus loading zones, fire drills, assemblies, cafeteria, parking lots, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive environment conducive to learning.
- Adapts and provides accommodations of classroom activities; assignments and/or materials under the direction of the teacher for the purpose of providing an opportunity for special education students to actively participate in classroom activities.
- Aids students in and out of classroom (e.g. packing backpacks, note taking, relationship building, field trips, social skills, etc.) for the purpose of providing assistance to students needs for functional and social growth.
- Participates in trainings opportunities (e.g. CPR, education strategies, specific disability education, etc.) for the purpose of acquiring information for the appropriate care for medically fragile students.
- Collaborates with staff for the purpose of providing necessary support and information related to the students prog ess as established in the Individual Education Plan.
- Maintains instructional materials and data sheets for the purpose of ensuring availability of instructional materials and/or providing reliable information regarding student progress under the direction of certified staff.
- Assist in establishing a positive learning environment, and respond to the individual needs of students.
- The ability to work cooperatively and demonstrate effective interpersonal relationships with other paras, professionals, community agencies, and other groups.
- Assist in safeguarding confidential information, and observing confidentiality requirements.
- Use of appropriate behavior management techniques to maintain a positive climate for learning.
- Faithful, daily attendance and adherence to work schedules, including assisting students through meal times.
- Observe all district and interlocal policies during activities.
- Restrict cell phone usage to break and lunch times.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the educational team.