Emporia State University Academic Advisor in Emporia, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/ada/r/jobs/11466443
Emporia State University’s Department of Counselor Education is seeking applications for a 12-month, half-time (20 hours per week), academic advisor serving approximately 200 students across three graduate degree programs, and one undergraduate degree program. Applications are accepted for immediate review until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is May 17, 2021. It is based in Emporia, KS, however, the candidate should be comfortable with the use of Zoom and/or other distance communication systems for advising purposes.
The academic advisor is responsible for providing educational guidance and assistance for undergraduate and graduate students by planning schedules; recommending courses; determining appropriate education solutions for different types of students; and following through and tracking the advancement of students. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
· Advise students on academic requirements and selection of courses;
· Assist students in developing and personalizing an education plan;
· Disseminate information on institutional policies and procedures;
· Review and approve enrollment plans, make recommendations and check pre-requisites;
· Understand the institution's interpretation of FERPA rules for the release of student information;
· Perform and interpret degree audits;
· Understand graduation requirements for programs;
· Coordinate communications to the students regarding advisement, academic calendar, and other related issues;
· Maintain accurate records of interactions with students;
· Serve as student advocate when appropriate;
· Refer students to the appropriate specialized staff for such issues as financial aid assistance, career advisement, admissions processes, business office questions;
· Stay abreast of changing institutional information including admissions requirements, new programs, course changes, deadlines, important dates, costs, expanding facilities, updates in college-wide initiatives, transfer requirements, and state and federal mandates;
· Represent the department programs at undergraduate recruiting events;
· Participate in the planning, implementation, and the evaluation of the academic advisement program's goals and objectives;
· Serve as resource for faculty/staff.
· Bachelor’s degree and one year of advising or similar experience
· Customer service skills
· Time management and organizational skills
· Ability to take initiative and seek out information as needed
Hourly pay is determined based upon qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package is provided including insurance, retirement with employer match, paid time off, tuition assistance, and more.
Upload your cover letter, resume/CV, contact information for three references, and unofficial transcripts at https://bit.ly/3n11MBa. A background check and official transcripts are required upon offer.
Emporia State is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be c onsidered by law. www.emporia.edu