Kansas Works Veterans Jobs

Kansas Works Logo

Job Information

U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command Budget Analyst in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas


About the Position: This is a developmental Budget Analyst position (GS-11 target 12) for the U.S. Army Combined Arms Center (CAC), Resource Management. NOTE: Management may select at either grade level


At the developmental level (GS-11), you will perform assignments under closer than normal supervision. The full performance level (GS-12) entails the following duties but this is not an all-inclusive list:

Provides technical advice and guidance to other analysts and managers, prepares and/or reviews requests for increases and determines justification.

Advises program managers and other interested parties on the status and availability of funds on programs and all regulatory aspects and command financial management processes applicable to their programs.

Examines and evaluates cost statements to determine progress, compares obligations and expenditures with budget estimates, and measures the effect of deviations on the achievement of target goals.

Prepares a variety of reports covering the status of funds and advises program managers and other management officials on the availability of funds.

Participates in year-end closing to ensure proper and full use of funds with no anti-deficiency violations, purpose statute or bona fide needs statute infractions.

Develops local budget policy, procedures, budget formulation assumptions, formats and schedules for development of various budget submissions and obligation and expenditure plans.


Conditions of Employment


Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities. 30 Percent or More Disabled VeteransCurrent Department of Army Civilian EmployeesCurrent Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) Interchange AgreementDomestic Defense Industrial Base/Major Range and Test Facilities Base Civilian Personnel WorkforceExecutive Order (E.O.) 12721Interagency Career Transition Assistance PlanLand Management Workforce Flexibility ActMilitary Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentality (NAFI)Non-Department of Defense (DoD) TransferOffice of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement EligiblePeople with Disabilities, Schedule APriority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) EligibleReinstatementVeterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) NOTE: VRA eligibility will only be applied for those who wish to be considered at the GS-11 level. In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document. QUALIFICATIONS FOR GS-11: Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes monitoring and tracking expenditures to meet funding limitations; compiling financial data for budget reports; and preparing budget estimates. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-09). -OR- Education: Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as: Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, etc. (Note: You must submit a copy of your transcripts.) -OR- Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the second year (total graduate semester hours minus 36) by 18. Add the two percentages.

(Note: You must submit a copy of your transcripts.) QUALIFICATIONS FOR GS-12: Specialized Experience: One year equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service analyzing and developing resolutions to budgetary problems, such as recommending alternative funding methods; formulating budget estimates for programs; and developing budget guidance to be followed by budget/resource personnel. Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For the GS-12 grade level, you must meet the minimum qualification requirement using experience alone--NO substitution of education for experience is permitted. You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:

Budget AdministrationBudget ExecutionCommunicationsFinancial Management Systems Time in Grade Requirement for GS-11: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-09). Time in Grade Requirement for GS-12: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-11). *All applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade and specialized experience requirements within thirty (30) days after the closing date of the announcements.


FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html

Additional Information

Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration. You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. Two year trial/probationary period may be required. Direct deposit of pay is required. Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees. If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet. This is a Career Program (CP) 11 - Comptroller position. You may claim military spouse preference (MSP). If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration. Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement. Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement. If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances MAY be authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations and an agency determination that a PCS move is in the Government Interest. When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%201805%20Relocation%20Allowances0.pdf for more information. Recruitment, relocation and/or retention incentives MAY be offered for this position. This announcement may be used to fill similar vacancies within other organizations on Fort Leavenworth for the next three months.