City of Hutchinson Equipment Operator in Hutchinson, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12345184
Imagine if you were given an opportunity to connect with others who want to keep our community the most livable and safe it can possibly be. If you like to work with your hands, enjoy working outside and construction/repair work, you may be a great addition to our Public Works team. Make a difference with the City of Hutchinson!
TheEquipment Operatoris responsible for roadway maintenance/construction and street cleaning utilizing assorted light to medium equipment and machinery. Assignments involve driving City vehicles, street repairs, street cleaning, snow and ice control, hauling materials to and from work sites, and equipment maintenance. After hours emergency call-out work, as well as occasional night and weekend hours may be required. This employee should possess a strong mechanical aptitude, and effective communication and public relation skills.
THIS IS AN ENTRY-LEVEL POSITION; THEREFORE, WE ARE WILLING TO TRAIN ON THE FOLLOWING SKILLS.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
- Maneuvers equipment and operates complex mechanisms involving digging, moving earth and materials, grading, loading, paving, and performing similar tasks in order to advance projects relating to construction and maintenance of City streets, properties, utilities, rights-of-way, and other infrastructure.
- Maintains roadways by cleaning away debris and waste, repaving potholes, restriping cross walks, stop bars and handicap crossings, replacing street signs, and operating graders, rollers, dump trucks, loaders, backhoes, street sweepers and other equipment as needed; performs street surface sealing, crack sealing, grading of roads and alleyways, street shoulder maintenance, concrete work, and asphalt work;
- Operates a grader or bulldozer for leveling and rough grading on streets and alleys, shaping shoulders and crowns, and ripping up old infrastructure for reconstruction; performs basic survey level work to establish proper grades for street and alley maintenance projects.
- Operates a backhoe for removing concrete and rough grading; operates loaders for loading materials in trucks and transporting building and construction materials; operates a dump truck to transport and haul dirt, sand, gravel, asphalt, rock and supplies between original and final destinations; operates street sweeper to flush streets and gutters free from trash and debris to prevent flooding; operates other departmental equipment as appropriate;
- Participates in snow removal duties; salts streets and sidewalks; drives and operates vehicles equipped with snow plows and salt spreaders; plows and hauls snow;
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections; Inspects and maintains equipment by having knowledge of DOT rules and regulations, performing spot checks, checking fluids, providing fuel and ensuring all parts are in working order;
- Performs minor preventive equipment maintenance, cleaning and repairs; inspects, diagnoses, disassembles systems, cleans, removes, and replaces work or defective parts, reassembles, installs, and adjusts to specified performance standards; conducts equipment checks and prepares units for service;
- Observes all safety standards and procedures; m neuvers in and around traffic, crew workers, equipment, utilities, and other obstacles obeying all traffic laws; monitors immediate environment including setting and maintaining proper signage and traffic control devices of a work area to ensure the safety of operators, other workers, the equipment, and the public;
- Performs manual labor tasks with power tools or hand tools; performs duties of a maintenance worker as necessary including installation and maintenance of street signs, and miscellaneous painting, sand blasting, and other maintenance tasks; completes and/or oversees tasks in the absence of crew leader in a timely manner with minimal supervision; operates vehicles and equipment in lower classifications as needed or assigned to complete division or departmental projects and workload;
- Provides daily work reports, leave requests, and other data entry or maintenance of data on computers and/or on paper as necessary;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
WHAT YOU\'LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
EDUCATION:A high school diploma or GED is required.
EXPERIENCE:Minimum of one (1) year of experience performing manual and semiskilled equipment operation work in construction, street maintenance, or other closely related environment is preferred. Employe