City of Hutchinson Fleet Mechanic-Lead in Hutchinson, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12450912
Imagine if you were given an opportunity to connect with others who work to keep our community the most livable and safe it can possibly be. If you\'re an experienced auto mechanic and would be interested in working in a very diverse repair shop, you may be a great addition to our Public Works team. Make a difference with the City of Hutchinson!
Under the direct supervision of the Fleet Superintendent, theLead Fleet Mechanicperforms skilled repair and maintenance work on a wide variety of fleet vehicles and equipment owned and operated by the City; and provides training, scheduling and oversight of work performed by lower level mechanics. This position also assists with the development and implementation of short- and long-range maintenance programs for City of Hutchinson\'s vehicle fleet and equipment. This position requires strong mechanical aptitude and technical skills, as well as strong communication and organizational skills.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
- Performs technical work in the diagnosis, mechanical repair, and preventive maintenance of a wide variety of city fleet vehicles and equipment; responsible for daily fuel inventory and records, creating and entering repair orders, and assisting other mechanics; procures parts, materials and supplies in accordance with Purchasing policies. Provides monthly and annual work reports;
- Provides oversight and guidance to lower-level fleet mechanics; assists with determining the necessary staffing, equipment, and parts to effectively and efficiently carry out daily work; checks work in progress and upon completion, and monitors employee performance; monitors parts usage and labor hours; reviews completed projects and evaluates processes to determine if work is being carried out effectively;
- Oversees and assists in the training of techniques, principles, equipment operation, and equipment maintenance; ensures proper training and guidance to ensure that mechanics have the knowledge and abilities to meet the demands of the division; attends training seminars and other technical classes required to maintain a working knowledge of current equipment operation, software operation, and maintenance techniques;
- Provides safety training pertaining to the daily operations of the department; reviews safety related policies and procedures to identify and remediate possible safety issues;
- Assists the Superintendent with annual budget preparation; provides research and recommendations on future parts and equipment needs;
- Provides input relevant to employee information including performance records, training records, contact information, and required licensure.
- Performs all other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
WHAT YOU\'LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
- EDUCATION:A High School Diploma or GED is required. A technical degree in auto mechanics and/or diesel mechanics or some college credit is preferred.
- EXPERIENCE:Minimum of 5 years experience performing extensive diagnostic, maintenance and repair work of automotive and heavy equipment; must have basic proficiency with computers, communications radios and other office equipment. Must be able to read, understand, and interpret schematics, reports, and manuals.
- CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSE:Class B Commercial Driver\'s License (CDL) with air brake endorsement. Underground Fuel Storage Tank A/B Certification and a minimum of 4 ASE certifications preferred at time of appointment and are required within 12 months of appointment. Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) Certifications are preferred.
- RESIDENTIAL REQUIREMENT:Applicants must be able to report to Publi Works facility within 30 minutes for after-hours emergency calls.
- EQUIPMENT:Must have ability to use personally-owned hand tools for this position. Specialty tools and equipment will be supplied by City of Hutchinson.
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Medical & Dependent Care
- Retirement: KPERS & 457 Retirement Savings Plan
- Insured Disability
- Life Insurance & Optional Voluntary Life Insurance
- Death Benefit
- Service Connected Death
- Vacation Leave, Sick Leave, Wellness Day, Floating Holidays & City
- Designated Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
The City of Hutchinson employs over 400 employees that serve our community every day. City employees make Hutchinson a great place to live, work, and play. We take pride in our work, and it shows. Come be a part of a workforce that makes a difference! We\'re always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team.
City of Hutchinson is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex