University of Kansas Intramural Basketball Official - Student Hourly in Lawrence, Kansas
KU Recreation Services, a department within Student Affairs, provides a campus-wide impact at the University of Kansas by improving the quality of life for all students, faculty, staff, affiliates, retirees, alumni, spouses, and domestic partners. KU Recreation Services provides state-of-the-art recreational programs (Fitness, Intramural Sports, Outdoor Pursuits, and Sport Clubs), facilities, and services.
The Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center (ASRFC) is a $17 million facility which opened in September 2003. In 2008, a $6.3 million expansion was completed, increasing the total indoor space to 150,000 square feet. The ASRFC is comprised of many different activity spaces: 16,000 square feet of cardiovascular resistance training and free weight equipment, six indoor basketball/volleyball courts, a three-lane suspended jogging track, an aerobics studio, a martial arts studio, four racquetball courts, one squash court, a dasher board system gymnasium, a golf simulator, a 42-foot climbing wall and bouldering wall, two outdoor basketball courts, a conference room, and multimedia room.
Recreation Services and the Intramural Sports program are seeking students to join our team as Intramural Sports Official for basketball and the spring 2019 Basketball season. The official is responsible for effectively refereeing the sport of basketball and the general safety of the participants. In addition to basketball, an Intramural Sports Official may continue to officiate additional sports such as soccer and softball.
No prior officiating experience is needed. All training will be provided by KSHSAA certified student officials prior to beginning work.
Participation in Intramural Sports by officials is encouraged!
A wide variety of skills are developed by Intramural Sports Officials which include, but are not limited to:
- Conflict Resolution
- Decision Making
The duties of an Intramural Sports Official include, but are not limited to the following:
- Accurate documentation of hours worked
- Pre-game court set up
- Pre-game captain's meeting administration
- Unbiased administration of rules decisions based on training for that particular sport
- Verification of final score of all games worked with a signature on each completed score sheet
- Assigning an appropriate Sportsmanship Rating to each team following each contest
- Assisting other officials / supervisors in any matters concerning Intramural Sports
- Minor court maintenance
An applicant for the position of an Intramural Basketball Official must have:
- Status as an enrolled student with at least 6 hours at The University of Kansas
- Work history that required being moderately physically active for hours at a time (maximum of four hours at a time)
- Current NFHS Concussion In Sports Certification or willingness to obtain within the first month of employment
The preferred applicant for the position of an Intramural Basketball Official will have:
- Previous officiating or sports participation experience
- A willingness to learn and have fun
- A passion for sports
- A positive and enthusiastic attitude
- A professional and cooperative demeanor
Contact Information to Applicants
Jon Randle Assistant Director for Intramural Sports 785.864.3270 firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application consists of an online application and a resume.
Qualified applicants must have:
- Availability to work on Sundays as evidenced in application material
- Availability to be present and engaged at the Intramural Basketball Officials Training on:
- Monday, January 28 at 5:00p
- Wednesday, January 30 at 5:30p
An Intramural Sports Official will have the following work hours:
Sundays: Early afternoon to evening
Monday – Thursday: Late afternoon to evening
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Advertised Salary Range: Starting at $8.35 / Hour
Application Review Begins: 06-Dec-2018
Work Location: University of Kansas - Lawrence
Anticipated Start Date: 28-Jan-2019