University of Kansas POOL - Teacher Candidate Supervisor in Lawrence, Kansas
The University of Kansas, Department of Curriculum & Teaching anticipates openings for the position of University Supervisor in the 2018-2019 academic year.
The University Supervisor is an adjunct faculty member in the School of Education (SOE). The supervisor serves as the liaison between the SOE and the PK12 school where teacher candidates are placed for their student teaching/internship. The primary function of the university supervisor is to provide guidance for the teacher candidate in their development of teaching competency and to give assistance to the clinical supervisor.
University supervisors should have academic backgrounds and experience in the field of education and have taught successfully at the levels they supervise. We are seeking university supervisors who have prior teaching experience in the areas of early childhood, elementary, middle/secondary social studies, middle/secondary English, world languages. Supervisors must be available to observe and conference with teacher candidates during the school day.
Amount of work required can vary by position and will range in FTE
Applications will be accepted throughout the year. The successful applicant must have appropriate authorization to work in the U.S. before employment begins.
Supervisors are responsible for the following (1.0 FTE):
- Attending 2 University Supervisor Training sessions each semester
- Initiate and attend an initial meeting with the clinical supervisor and teacher candidate
- Conducting pre- and post-conference meetings for every formal observation to assist in improving instruction, analyzing problems, identifying strengths, and reflecting on teaching effectiveness.
- Reviewing lesson plans prior to formal observations
- Participating in problem-solving and remain flexible in seeking solutions
- Completing required formative and summative evaluation forms as outlined in the checklist
- Unannounced visit – once during the spring semester
- Communicating regularly with assigned teacher candidates and their clinical supervisor
- Promote and sustain positive working relationships among the clinical supervisor, the teacher candidate, and the principal
- Establish and maintain working relationship with the principal at each site and build communication between the school and the University
- Respond to emails, phone calls, questions and other inquiries in a timely manner
- Suggesting specific instructional strategies or approaches if teacher candidates are unsuccessful in implementing particular lesson plans or have management problems that will reach a wide variety of learners
- Communicate concerns with the Director of Student Teaching to keep them updated and involved with solutions
- Document plan of action/interventions used to assist teacher candidates in gaining skills
- Monitoring teacher candidate’s work submitted online and provide a grade and feedback in a timely manner;
- Acting as a critical resource for teacher candidates as they face the challenges of teaching and learning
- Respect the cultural implications and expectations of the school
- Assigning a grade for each teacher candidate
- The applicant must hold a master’s degree in Education or other field appropriate to subject area and a minimum of 5 years relevant PK12 teaching or administrative experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, teachers, administrators, and university faculty.
- Experience observing and evaluating teaching performance.
- Ability to travel to multiple school settings within a 50-mile radius of Lawrence, KS.
- Knowledge of working with multicultural populations and an awareness of issues of diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Current teaching license
- Basic technology knowledge including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Blackboard, Apple iPad, and FileMaker Pro.
Contact Information to Applicants
**Dr. Nicole Babalola email@example.com
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application includes an online application, resume/CV, cover letter addressing position requirements, copy of a valid teaching license and a list of three (3) professional references.
Review of applications are ongoing
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at
http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policiesprocedures/categorydetails/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or firstname.lastname@example.org for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.
Advertised Salary Range: $500 per Teacher Candidate
Application Review Begins: 17-Apr-2018
Work Location: University of Kansas - Lawrence
Employee Class: F-Faculty
Position Number: various