Kiewit Civil Design Intern - Kiewit Power Engineering (Summer 2024) in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 169517
Job Level: Internship
Home District/Group: Kiewit Power Engineering
Department: Drafting & Design
Employment Type: Full Time Temporary
A Civil Design Intern applies engineering drafting principles and procedures in performing basic engineering drafting work. Develops drawings and models with information provided by engineers and designers. Requires close guidance and direction. This position coordinates with other design group team members to review and exchange project information necessary for design and development. Performs specific design functions for the project as assigned.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district , which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner's engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
Renewables and new technology
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office.
Includes, but not necessarily limited to the following:
• Utilizes the Operations Drafting/Design Standards Manual with each task or assignment.
• Utilizes each applicable document of the Department Quality Standards and Procedures to implement each task or assignment.
• Reports project progression updates and/or issues to Lead Designer as required. Informs Manager and/or Lead Designer of project decisions that differ from Kiewit Power Engineers standards.
• Learns applicable engineering national and local codes.
• Participates in meetings as required: i.e., Weekly Project Meetings.
• Assists in job-related activities with project team members.
• Checks design for consistency, safety, operability and maintenance requirements before submitting to checking.
• Develops 3D models utilizing drawings, sketches, and design skills.
• Develops the capability of checking and navigating in the 3D models for interferences and constructability.
• Creates plan drawings and details.
• Files the master sets/originals, superseded drawings and originals as required in a timely manner.
• Completes as-builts by utilizing RFIs, ECNs and red-marked drawings from construction to develop “Conformed to Construction Records” as required.
• Completes miscellaneous tasks to support project development.
• Creates guidelines, checklists or other applicable knowledge-based documents as assigned.
• Provides lessons learned throughout the project by utilizing the Lessons Learned Database.
• Gathers information needed to develop drawings.
• Resolves checked drawings; prove and understand the comments made.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
• Must be able to communicate effectively and constructively with other team members and disciplines both verbally and in written form.
• Must be able to complete assignments in a timely manner. Demonstrated ability to interpret multi-discipline engineering and vendor documents.
• Must be able to represent Kiewit Engineering and Design in a professional manner to owners, contractors, vendors and any other contacts outside the Kiewit Engineering and Design organization.
• Must be capable of utilizing a computer-aided drafting program (MicroStation, AutoCAD, GeoPak, NavisWorks), and have a basic knowledge of the latest computer operating systems.
• Must be able to communicate through emails and utilize electronic meeting requests.
• Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases.
• Pursuing Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Aided Design & Drafting Technology or related field
A Civil Designer Intern may serve as a field designer to support the project by performing field measurements, assisting construction personnel in reviewing structural drawings and field construction personnel in reviewing structural drawings and field construction, researching Kiewit Power Engineers drawings and other information, vendor drawings and O&M manuals, coordinating with Kiewit Power Engineers office.
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.