Kiewit Corporation Data Scientist - Kiewit Data Services in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 109541
Job Level: Senior Level
Department: Information Technology
Market: Corporate Home Office
Employment Type: Full Time
Would you like to apply your skills to build some of the most advanced analytics in the construction and engineering industry? Would you like to help propel our team to new heights?
Over the past 5 years, we have developed and deployed analyses ranging from price simulations on single projects to full-scale decision support systems that help our people work safer, bid smarter and help ensure financial performance. Classification, regression, forecasting and simulation – our areas of focus are not limited to one part of the company, but span multiple aspects of our enterprise. The work you would do starts in the database and ends with decision-support in the users’ hands. From a technical perspective, you would have excellent access to databases company-wide and apply modern machine learning methodologies – primarily from the Python language. We are in touch with evolving techniques – and develop internal methods for topics like model parameter tuning, feature generation, ensembling and techniques that help us automate, deploy and monitor models.
Our people build the infrastructure that runs the modern world. Analytics help our people build smarter. If you are a skilled and creative analyst, look no further.
Kiewit Data Services’ (KDS) mission is to make Kiewit the premier data-driven organization in our industry. To accomplish this, our projects and districts need to have the right data, of the right quality, with the right level of analysis, available to them at the right time. KDS is a cross functional organization with employees that have expertise in data, technology, support and operations backgrounds. Our core functions are data Quality, Governance, Enablement, Analytics and Data Science.
This position is based out of Lenexa, KS. This is a shared service center in a professional office setting.
• Works as a member of a team on complex tasks and projects assigned by supervisor to help develop decision support tools for the business
• Data Acquisition – Extracts data from enterprise sources, transform, clean, profile and prepare.
• Analyze Data - Conducts data analysis, understands strengths/weaknesses of different methods.
• Communication and Presentation – Explains results of analysis to team members, train business how to use decision support tools, develops training materials. Uses data visualization to aid communication.
• Team Work – Follows project plan, best practices and group standards. Documents work. Provides accurate estimates of time to complete tasks and projects.
• Interest in using data to solve problems in the construction and engineering industries.
• 3 to 7 years work experience performing statistical analysis, data mining, data science, machine learning, etc. in a professional setting.
• BA / BS in Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or related field; a demonstrated interest in data analysis is critical.
• Advanced proficiency with the Python language required. Familiarity with other relevant languages and tools a plus.
• Real world experience applying advanced analysis techniques for classification, regression, simulation and forecasting. Experience applying machine learning techniques (decision trees, clustering, SVMs, etc.) and ensembles in a professional setting.
• Proficiency with SQL to support data acquisition functions.
• Ability to effectively communicate key findings or relationships using data visualization techniques.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, employing effective time management and organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently and as a team to meet deadlines, goals and objectives.
• Passion for learning new data analysis methods and tools.
• Excellent critical thinking skills.
• Past experience in model deployment for decision support strongly preferred.
• Experience with Power BI or Tableau strongly preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.