Kiewit Electrical Engineer in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 171176
Job Level: Mid Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Nuclear Solutions
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Nuclear is seeking an Electrical Design Engineer to join our Engineering Team that is focused on the carbon-free technologies such as Small Modular Reactors. The Electrical Design Engineer functions in a mid-level engineering capacity performs all aspects of conventional and nuclear design engineering. The engineer in this position must have an aptitude for practical engineering, a willingness to immerse oneself in the position and rapidly learn the business, ability to work with little supervision, have strong leadership skills, and be willing to travel periodically.
Kiewit Nuclear Solutions. is a full-service engineering, project management, and construction provider operating across North America. Our experience and expertise span all aspects of the nuclear-related market from carbon-free, small modular reactors to Dept of Energy science, and environmental and nuclear security mission capabilities. With these broad capabilities, we operate in the power utility, renewable energy, industrial, and infrastructure markets. As part of Kiewit, we are integrated with 135 years of construction and engineering excellence that provides holistic solutions, differentiating our team from the rest of the industry.
Our rapidly growing nuclear solutions business has opened new locations across North America to strengthen our market presence while executing work within the communities we live within and support. We are committed to build upon our history as one of the safest companies to work for by equipping our craft and staff with the best technology, processes, equipment, tools, and safety programs available.
We are an innovative team that prides itself on excellence through continuous improvement and an unwavering commitment to deliver for our clients. Our staff collaborates with Kiewit’s vast internal network of resources that span heavy civil and infrastructure, vertical and commercial buildings, industrial, as well our oil and gas and power generation markets, to drive safe and cost-effective solutions that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s core values of People, Integrity, Excellence, and Stewardship.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see, design and construct more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, joining Kiewit can bring a lifetime of personal success and satisfaction.
This position is located in Lenexa, KS, or Oak Ridge, TN.
• Prepare and review detailed engineering calculations including AC and DC power studies utilizing ETAP, short circuit, cable ampacity, voltage drop, breaker coordination, motor starting, protective relay settings, and arc-flash.
• Prepare and review equipment procurement specifications,
• Participate in the bid review evaluation process for potential equipment vendors, including supporting vendor requests for additional information, developing responses to vendor questions, and maintaining a tracking mechanism for questions/responses,
• Prepare and review scoping documents for conceptual designs, including constructability reviews,
• Interface with project team members from other engineering and design disciplines (Mechanical, Structural, Civil, I&C),
• Interface with the client in support of the project, including implementing personnel,
• Travel to client and vendor offices for design reviews and to plant site locations for construction coordination
• Prepare and review detailed design and calculations for lighting, communications, security systems.
• A BS degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET-accredited engineering program,
• Five or more years’ experience in the design of electrical engineering systems in a project team environment for industrial applications or nuclear power plants
• Experience in the selection of equipment, materials, and the preparation and assembling of engineering design packages, calculations, and specifications,
• Experience with electrical system design including low and medium voltage distribution systems (transformers, generators, motor, relays, etc.),
• Effective written and verbal communication skills to convey information to project team members and client,
• Detail oriented approach to work,
• PE license – or the ability to obtain
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.