Kiewit Corporation Mechanical Engineer- Kiewit Industrial Engineering in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 127539
Job Level: Mid Level
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to provided design for a variety of buildings across multiple market sectors. This position is for an experienced design engineer with a background in HVAC, piping, and plumbing design. Building types include administration/office buildings, battery storage, server rooms, manufacturing, warehouses, and a variety of transportation facilities including bus/train stations as well as maintenance facilities. The candidate should have leadership experience, good communication skills and ability to work with a group of experienced professionals. The candidate will be responsible for executing and reviewing mechanical designs for new and existing facilities, independently or as a member of a team, including drawings, specifications, and submittal reviews.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service engineering consulting and design firm serving a broad range of the industrial markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve the industrial, transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Our operations-focused engineering provides our clients with safe and efficient facilities and it integrates our 130 years of construction experience to finish projects on time and to make sure that Nobody Gets Hurt.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Engineering team, which includes process, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Mineral Processing, Renewable Fuels, Pulp and Paper, Steel & Aluminum, Industrial Buildings, and Industrial Energy, Water and Utilities.
• Review RFP documents and prepare estimates of the mechanical systems and write mechanical system narratives for estimating and project proposals
• Develop cost-effective designs, to enable the company, to win profitable work in a highly competitive building design environment
• Create construction documents, drawings and specifications for building related mechanical systems
• Perform calculations for sizing of systems, and selection of equipment
• Utilize industry codes and standards
• Execute work in a team environment, coordinating with multiple design disciplines
• Perform quality checks on the deliverables, to ensure their conformance with the contract and project requirements
• Support the construction process by responding to RFI’s during construction, reviewing and approving shop drawings, and supporting project completion and turn-over
• Participate in site visits to review installations and develop punch lists
• Mentor less experienced engineers
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or architectural engineering
• Engineer with 4-5 years’ of experience in preparing design documents for HVAC and plumbing systems
• Experience with HVAC design including; air side equipment, chilled water, controls, dehumidification, gas piping, hydronic heating water, and steam heating
• Proficient in creating detailed calculations for HVAC load modeling, psychometric analysis, hydronic systems, ductwork and pipe sizing
• Experienced with building modeling software such as Trane Trace 700 or Carrier HAP
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
• Proven ability to read, understand, and develop design drawings
• Experienced in writing specifications
• Familiar with ASHRAE Standards
• Familiar with International Mechanical code, International Fuel Gas code, International Plumbing code, International Building Code, International Energy Conservation code, and NFPA codes
• High degree of self-motivation and positive motivating capacity to work with others
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and active listening skills
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.