Kiewit Corporation Senior Estimator- Substation- Kiewit Power Delivery in Lenexa, Kansas
Requisition ID: 114740
Job Level: Senior Level
Employment Type: Full Time
This is a staff position reporting to the Estimating Manager. You will be responsible for reviewing, analyzing and interpreting Contract Documents (specifications, drawings, and reference information) to develop detailed, comprehensive cost estimates for various projects throughout Kiewit's markets. Also able to make assumptions based on experience with detailed plans are not provided and front end estimating is performed based on conceptual level designs.
Kiewit Power Delivery (KPD) provides direct-hire construction services for Power Delivery Services utilizing organized and open shop labor force. Kiewit Power Delivery throughout North America currently consists of Transmission & Distribution, Wind and Solar Projects. All of Kiewit Power is committed to Kiewit’s “Nobody Gets Hurt” Philosophy.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs.
• Independently determine the most cost-efficient means and methods to estimate the cost to construct transmission and distribution substations.
• Develop complete estimates for very large, complex substation projects incorporating civil, foundations and other discipline estimates into the overall cost.
• Ensuring estimate are accurate and compliant with Owner and Kiewit specifications.
• Compare created estimates with benchmarks based upon experience to ensure costs are competitive in the industry.
• Create substation outage plans required to complete the work per the estimated work plan.
• Meet estimate deadlines working independently.
• Review estimates prepared by other estimating groups or JV partners to determine data completeness and procedures; aid in resolving differences in bid items
• Must be capable of handling major technical problems encountered during bid preparation.
• Stay current on construction equipment, crew sizing, means, methods, and procedures in the industry.
• Prepare special studies or reports required by the unusual nature of some bid items or conditions.
• Train and mentor new and junior staff members in the preparation estimates.
• Learn and utilize Hard Dollar estimating software.
• Demonstrated ability to independently develop a substation cost estimate that are competitive in the industry.
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil or construction-related tech¬nology, OR extensive and related work experience leading to a thorough understanding of the knowledge, skills and abilities described above.
• At least fifteen years’ experience in a related role
• Extensive knowledge through demonstrated experience of heavy substation construction.
• Strong attention to detail; strong communication, interpersonal, leadership and team-building skills
• Excellent negotiation skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Work, Outlook, PowerPoint)
• Ability to perform duties in wide-ranging physical and climatic conditions, heights and negotia¬tion of complex stair structures
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.