Kansas State University Research Assistant - Rabies (Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory) in Manhattan, Kansas
About this Role:
This Research Assistant position will conduct test in the rabies laboratory including the performance of rabies antibody analyses on human and animal sera including serum neutralization and ELISA assays, the interpretation and reporting of serological and diagnostic results and maintaining the quality of test results. The person in this position will also assist with program operations including monitoring quality control data, accuracy of test result entry, SOP preparation and necessary updates.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Rabies Serological Assays: Includes sample preparation, serum dilutions for ELISA testing, testing and reporting ELISA samples as well as: package opening, data entry of test submissions, test results and quality control tracking and report generation; and may include training student workers.
- Quality System: Perform quality assessment and quality control documentation needed for the Rabies Lab to stay in compliance with regulations, assist in SOP updates and Corrective Actions.
- Customer Service: Assisting in customers via phone, email and fax. Provide assistance with clients concerning test submission, result interpretation, rabies vaccination protocols, and how that relates to the testing the laboratory does. Provide assistance with clients concerning rabies diagnostic issues.
- All other duties as assigned which include but are not limited to: performing serum neutralization assays, maintaining cell lines, representing the lab at technical meetings and general housekeeping.
- Rabies diagnostic assays: Includes sample collection, sample preparation, fixing, staining and reading of slides. Result data entry, including quality control data. Reporting by phone and fax.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in biology or related science
- Two or more years of laboratory experience in cell biology, clinical laboratory test procedures and quality review
- Previous experience in serum neutralization testing and project management (research or service)
- Competent computer skills including databases, spreadsheets, word processing and data entry are required
- Excellent written and oral, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit cover letter, resume, transcripts and contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 17.42 - $ 29.61 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670080080 Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Job no: 509546
Work type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Veterinary Medicine
Pay Grade: 06B
Advertised: Aug 26, 2020 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled