Cargill Merchant in Olathe, Kansas
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 155,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s agricultural supply chain business, where we seamlessly connect farming customers with food, feed and industry.
Job Purpose and Impact
The Merchant will contribute to handling a supplier base and fulfill transactions delivering commodities that meet production requirements and specifications in terms of timing, volume, quantity and cost. In this role you will be a member of the West Region Commercial team that is primarily responsible for soybean meal sales, game plan development, recommending trading and marketing strategies and overseeing logistics execution for a soy processing plant in the region. You will focus mainly on soybean meal sales, working and managing relationships with various established customers and prospecting new business. You will be part of the overall merchandising team which develops game plans on soybeans, meal, oil, hulls and the total margin generation and P&L for the respective crush plant. In this role you will be expected to learn and grow into a leader among peers on the team. We seek a professional who will help buy and sell commodities from/to country elevators, producers, feed mills and processors.
• Collaborate and align functional areas including all product line merchandising, origination, operations, logistics, and finance teams to maximize asset utilization and earnings within the region via establishing game plans, offers, margin structure and objectives, ensuring efficient execution.
• Enter routine data and run specialty reports from our contract management databases and systems. Evaluate, manage and communicate risk universe (Game-plans, Bean/meal position, bean pipeline position, bean and meal quality, P&L and open contract risk including, but not limited to: contract exposure, credit, A/R, past due contracts, contract confirmations, etc.)
• Plan sales and transportation to maximize profitable use of stock and storage facilities.
• Research and analyze various freight opportunities in the marketplace to maximize margin.
• Work directly with customers, suppliers and business counterparts to meet their needs in solving routine problems, and addressing complaints and concerns.
• You will work under general supervision and independently solve moderately complex issues while referring more complex problems to a higher-level staff.
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
• Minimum of two years of related work experience
• Ability to travel as needed to visit plants and customers
• Proven ability to understand grain margins, futures and basis relationships
• Basic knowledge of production agriculture &/or livestock feeding
Relocation assistance will be provided for this opening
This position is located in Olathe, KS
Cargill highly encourages vaccinations but does not mandate at this time. Upon hire, you will be asked to provide your vaccination status, and if unvaccinated or if you choose not to disclose, you would be expected to follow Cargill’s safety protocols for unvaccinated employees (i.e., mask mandates, and social distancing).
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
At Cargill, everyone matters and everyone counts. Cargill is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. As such and in alignment with our Guiding Principles, Cargill's long-standing equal employment opportunity policy prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employee or applicant based on race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, family status, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, union affiliation, or any other status protected by law.
Cargill also complies with all applicable national and local laws and regulations pertaining to non-discrimination and employment.
Notice to Recruiters and Staffing Agencies: Cargill, Inc. and subsidiaries (“Cargill”) have an internal recruiting department. Please review this notice.
US Employment Resources: Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.