Black & Veatch Drafting Engineering Technician 1 in Overland Park, Kansas
Drafting Engineering Technician 1
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Black & Veatch has a contract to hire opening for a Drafting Engineering Technician 1. Under the supervision of the Graphics Lead, perform engineering technician work requiring basic technical knowledge utilizing electronic applications, processes, standards and document control processes/procedures for the purpose of creating or modifying deliverables. Evaluates methods used to accomplish the drafting and/or design activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Role will be responsible for drafting/design of a wireline (ISP/OSP fiber) Telecom project.
• Develop or modify deliverables based on GIS design, field gathered information, rough sketches, marked-up copies and/or detailed verbal instructions.
• Develops necessary layouts/views, sections and details with supervision.
• Learn and understand the standards and procedures of the current project and Black & Veatch.
• Performs minor computations such as material quantity estimate, dimensional checks, etc. as assigned.
• Learn new programs or processes required for assignments.
• Continuously evaluates methods used to accomplish the activities they have been assigned.
• If this evaluation indicates that a process can be simplified, without sacrificing the integrity of the outcome, it should be discussed with the supervisor for possible implementation.
• Ensures that the deliverables and tasks that they work on are complete and meet Black & Veatch’s QA requirements.
No previous engineering work experience required. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Diploma or Certificate preferred. Associate Degree in Drafting, Graphics, Interior Design, or an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred.
• Internship and/or 6+ months experience in a drafting role is nice to have.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Working knowledge of the Computer Automated Drafting Design (CADD) program, “AutoCAD” is required.
• Basic knowledge in (GIS, 3GIS, Visio and Civil 3D) is preferred, but not required.
• Basic knowledge of engineering standards, systems, document control, departmental guides and B&V policies and procedures.
• Basic industry knowledge and technology trends.
• Basic knowledge of company quality program.
• Basic ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Learning on the Fly • Problem Solving • Perseverance • Patience • Time Management • Drive for Results • Self Development • Customer Focus • Listening • Informing
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.