Charles River Laboratories Senior Clinical Veterinarian in Stilwell, Kansas
Senior Clinical Veterinarian
Req ID #: 213943
Stilwell, KS, US, 66085
At Charles River, we are passionate about improving the quality of people’s lives. When you join our global family, you will help create healthier lives for millions of patients and their families.
Charles River employees are innovative thinkers, who are dedicated to continuous learning and improvement. We will empower you with the resources you need to grow and develop in your career.
As a Charles River employee, you will be part of an industry-leading, customer-focused company at the forefront of drug development. Your skills will play a key role in bringing life-saving therapies to market faster through simpler, quicker, and more digitalized processes. Whether you are in lab operations, finance, IT, sales, or another area, when you work at Charles River, you will be the difference every day for patients across the globe.
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered for this position,a resume/CV must be uploaded and submitted during the application process. Please make sure work history and education are added correctly.
A Senior Staff Veterinarian is responsible for: providing consultation, oversight, and direct support of veterinary care activities for all animals used by Charles River Laboratories; supporting the IACUC to ensure compliance with animal welfare standards and regulations by AAALAC, Int., USDA, and PHS-OLAW; and supporting the evaluation of test article effects by performing examinations and making assessments to interpret study effects on animals. May serve as the Attending Veterinarian for regulatory compliance purposes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Oversee daily animal health assessment program including both routine stock and study examinations which support research.
· Respond to requests for veterinary care, planned or emergency, by examining the animal, communicating with staff, and following the case until resolution, and address veterinary concerns.
· May perform surgical support and provide anesthesia, surgical and analgesic technical expertise/advice.
· Functions as departmental representative for interdepartmental communications and initiatives as required.
· Supports and contributes to occupational health and safety program.
· Responsible for the overall training program for veterinary techniques/treatments performed by veterinary technicians/technical staff and ensure that training is properly documented and regularly updated. Develops and contributes to training others in research animal techniques and other aspects of vivarium operations.
· May assist in the development of operating objectives, organizational structure, staffing requirements, budget, departmental systems, and SOPs
· Assists animal ethical body to ensure compliance with internal and external animal welfare standards and regulations
· May serve as a full or ad-hoc member of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), assisting in protocol review and other efforts as identified.
· Thoroughly understands animal welfare regulations and standards and their application
· Understands the 3Rs and considers where refinements may be applied within the animal care program. Works with cross-site team members to implement refinements.
· DVM or equivalent degree with 5-10 years of experience in veterinary medicine, experience in laboratory animal medicine relevant area/education preferred.
· Must be able to obtain a veterinary license, controlled substances license, and USDA accreditation in state of employment.
· Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
· Computer skills, commensurate with Essential Functions and including ability to learn a validated system.
· Ability to work extended hours beyond normal work schedule to include, but not limited to, evenings, weekends, extended shifts and/or extra shifts, sometimes on short notice.
· Ability to work under specific time constraints
The pay range for this position is $150,000/year. Please note that salaries vary within the range based on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, education, certifications, and location.
Care - We show we care when we respect each other, our animals and the communities where we work and live, when we create a positive healthy workplace, when we are mindful of our compliance standards, and when we choose to do the right thing.
Lead - We lead when we advocate our purpose and model our values, when we deliver innovation, when we embrace change, and when we appreciate and celebrate the great work of others.
Own - We act like owners when we hold ourselves accountable for our actions, when we respond to internal and external client needs with speed and accuracy, when we set and achieve meaningful goals, and when we strive towards continuous improvement.
Collaborate -We collaborate when we partner with each other and promote teamwork, when we communicate clearly and effectively across the hall or around the globe, and when we welcome all forms of diversity and encourage inclusiveness.
IMPORTANT: A resume is required to be considered for this position.If you have not uploaded your resume in your candidate profile, please return to upload field and attach your resume/CV.
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 120 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 20,000 employees within 110 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 86% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2021.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.