Merck Associate Director Professional Services – Companion Animal South Zone in Topeka, Kansas
If this position will be based in the US or Puerto Rico (not applicable to positions based outside of US or Puerto Rico): Subject to applicable law, all prospective hires will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or intend to be vaccinated for COVID-19 by November 1, 2021, or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement. Hired candidates who are not vaccinated by November 1, 2021, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment, subject to applicable law.
Our Territory Representatives interact face to face with our customers, understand their needs and consult to offer the right solutions. We work collaboratively in Field Sales Teams and play a critical role in supporting our customer centric business model.
The Associate Director, Professional Services is a field based position responsible for providing technical support to Sales and Marketing for our company's Animal Health (MAH) products specific to companion animal health. In addition, this position will have responsibility for directly leading and managing a team of Professional Services colleagues, including hiring, performance management, and other supervisory activities.
Responsibilities include providing technical support for companion animal products and programs and aligning across teams. The position will be required to maintain contact with key industry professionals to include academic, veterinary related individuals or groups. Additional duties will include attending and presenting in prominent industry scientific meetings. This individual will interact with our customer base giving presentations at various venues local and national, provide consulting services and train Territory Managers on the use of technical data and uncovering medical need during sales calls.
The Associate Director will also be responsible for managing and coordinating one of the following key areas for the Professional Services Team: Corporate Accounts and Buying Groups, University and KOL relations, or Learning and Development. Managing one of these key areas for the team will require coordination with internal leads across the MAH leadership team.
Key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
• Hire, train, and supervise field veterinary staff of the Companion Animal Business Unit.
• Deliver a high level of technical expertise, service and support to MAH Companion Animal sales in the US. Assure those services are provided within corporate objectives and within budget guidelines.
• Professional Services includes but is not limited to: communicating technical features, benefits and methods of pharmaceuticals, product use directions, adverse event reporting, dealing with companion animal health issues in customer’s operations, customer complaints and education on new products from MAH.
• Participate as a scientific speaker at industry and local meetings where needed by communicating non-proprietary company research and representing MAH as a source of highly valuable technical expertise.
• Conduct and assist in market support research.
• Obtain information regarding customer needs through various channels, networking and customer visits, providing feedback to prioritize research and development needs.
• Aid in development of technical and marketing brochures for MAH products.
• Act as a liaison between prominent researchers in university, government and private settings to supply MAH with stream of information regarding innovative products and developments within the research world.
• Communicate between various MAH departments, as needed, to aid in delivery of product to customers, i.e. Sales, Marketing, Regulatory Affairs, R/D, Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Production, etc.
Animal Health Commercial Competencies
• Thinks Broadly – Places broader organizational interests above own or team interest
• Embraces an Agile Mindset & Coaching – Leads teams using appropriate agile methodology for the iterative development of tools, processes, and ideas, as well as to solve systemic problems through employing adaptive experimentation, collective responsibility, and agile methodologies
• Champions Leadership Development – Champions leadership development initiatives and practices that contribute to a strong, diverse succession pool; hires and develops the best leaders
• Maintains a Growth & Transformational Mindset – Constantly looks for room for improvement and is open-minded and curious about new possibilities; adapts and embraces new practices, tools, and behaviors as the digital area evolves; understands and leverages technology to democratize, scale, and drive efficiency within every business action
• Leverages Critical Metrics – Focuses on the critical metrics that drive unit and organizational performance
• Connects Others (Super Connector) – Builds effective networks and acts with agility
• Provides Coaching & Feedback – Makes coaching and providing feedback a priority across the organization; Demonstrates effective performance management; Holds direct reports accountable and ensures outcomes are achieved
• Shares Power & Success – Shares power and success as a way to motivate teams and strengthen the organization; Pushes decisions down when appropriate; Empowers own team to make decisions; Encourages and supports others to express their views, especially on tough issues
• Engages Others with Empathy – Appreciates and understands the perspective of others by putting oneself in others’ shoes in order to connect and respond appropriately
• Displays Customer Obsessions & Ownership – Demonstrates understanding of internal and external customers’ needs and wants; Starts with customers and represents the voice of the customer, works backward thinking, long-term business goals and results; conducts planning to ensure teams are focused on items with the highest impact to the business; Holds employees accountable for maintaining and acting in accordance with a “customer focused” mindset
• Displays Resilience – Embraces ambiguity and drives to success with persistence
Background & Education:
• Must have a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M) degree.
• Must have minimum of 10 years relevant work experience to include veterinary experience in companion animal medicine and/or companion animal technical services work.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Good leadership skills
• Must have a current Veterinary license in a US state
• Ability to digest extremely technical information and present it in understandable terms to lay people.
• Must be willing to travel at least 75% of the time
• Supporting the following states and must reside in TX, OK, KS, MO, LA, AK, MS, AL, TN or Western GA
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health, well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here (https://survey.sogosurvey.com/Survey1.aspx?k=SsQYWYYQsQRsPsPsP&lang=0) to request this role’s pay range.
Current Employees apply HERE (https://wd5.myworkday.com/msd/d/inst/1422$1533/rel-task/3001$14.htmld)
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE (https://wd5.myworkday.com/msd/d/task/1422$4020.htmld)
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here (https://survey.sogosurvey.com/r/aCdfqL) if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Poster (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf)
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf)
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Requisition ID: R144001