Travelers Associate Software Engineer (Site Reliability / DevSecOps) in Topeka, Kansas
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Travelers is seeking an Associate Software Engineer to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape. Individual will work as part of a Site Reliability Engineering team to design, automate, administer, operate, enhance and improve our CI/CD pipelines and related technology stack, platforms and service offerings.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Design, automate, administer, operate, enhance and improve solutions that enhance the developer experience and fuel our Public Cloud adoption.
Solve problems by developing a hypothesis. Set out to prove, or disprove, your hypothesis through experiments, adjustments and perseverance.
Perform basic analysis, development, testing, debugging, configuration, incident investigation, documentation, health monitoring/alerting, and implementing based on and related to user or system design specifications.
Work within guidelines set by team to independently tackle well-scoped problems.
Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in work experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Two years of programming/development experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
Basic understanding of building and supporting CI/CD pipelines.
Basic understanding of Linux command line and shell scripting.
Preferred experience with Ansible, Docker or monitoring tools.
More important than experience in any singular technology: A strong sense of curiosity about technology and a desire to learn and grow your career.
- Developing delivery skills including the ability to participate in team planning, learn to estimate work efforts, assist in the application of designated software design strategy and methodology, test work following relevant examples including automation, take ownership of work after release, quickly addressing issues as they arise and collect and incorporate feedback throughout the process.
- Emerging domain expertise including the ability to learn from research, others and through asking thoughtful questions, open to seizing opportunities to increase knowledge.
- Standard problem solving skills including the ability to debug familiar code or systems easily, recognize when own knowledge or experience is lacking and reach out for guidance and approach each new task as an opportunity to learn, continually applying prior learnings to new challenges.
- Good communication skills with the ability to articulate thoughts/ideas clearly, collaborate with team members in various roles and document new learnings and solutions for others benefit.
- Emerging leadership potential including the ability to accept direction and guidance while learning what traits are valuable in a leader, be transparent about what you do not understand and need help with, and communicate this to the appropriate parties, and receive feedback with an eye towards improving.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email (4-ESU@travelers.com) so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.