Black & Veatch RF Electrical Engineering Specialist 3 - Telecom - Remote United States in Topeka, Kansas
RF Electrical Engineering Specialist 3 - Telecom - Remote United States
Date: Nov 18, 2021
Company: Black & Veatch Family of Companies
Functions as a mid-level Radio Frequency (RF) Engineering technical specialist. Under general supervision, performs all aspects of conventional design engineering and analysis working to identify appropriate engineering solutions for a variety of engineering problems. Typical engineering solutions include radio frequency design, radio site design, site surveys, path surveys, passive intermodulation analysis, construction acceptance, network troubleshooting, radio network commissioning as well as other turn-key wireless network services clients may request. Supported technologies may include LTE/5G, narrowband radio, wideband radio, VHF/UHF, Land Mobile Radio (LMR), Automatic Metering Infrastructure (AMI), Microwave, in-building, Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) and others as required by our clients.
Contract opportunity with potential to be hired on as a Black & Veatch professional.
• Responsible for Radio Frequency (RF) engineering design and optimization
• Responsible for radio network site design and construction drawing documentation
• Some field network testing may be required
• Responsible for specifying equipment, creating design drawings and layouts, and identifying appropriate frequency bands.
• Work with a lead engineer to research existing client conditions and make recommendations to enhance large, complex telecommunication networks, owned and operated by private entities such as water and power utilities, educational institutions, and public safety agencies.
• Work with a lead engineer on all engineering aspects of a large turnkey wireless network deployment including the following:
o RF propagation estimates using EDX and/or Planet.
o Network diagrams
o Document customer requirements, design criteria, specifications
o Document MOPs (Methods of Procedures) for Link Validation Testing, Equipment Installation and End-to-End System Testing and Acceptance
• Maintain records, lists and reports as required to ensure compliance with the client's schedule, accuracy of the budget, and adherence to procurement specifications.
Typically a minimum of 3 years related work experience. Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
• 1+ years of RF design experience with at least one RF Planning tool such as Planet, EDX, Atoll, CelPlan
• 1+ year of wireless network deployment experience
• 3+ years of RF engineering experience in telecommunications industry
• Excelling report, specification, and requirement document writing skills
• Demonstrated experience with a network design methodology that includes: Requirements, Conceptual Design, Specified Design and Node (physical implementation) Design.
• Ability to perform and coordinate all stages of RF wireless network design
• Experience creating design drawings including interconnection diagrams and schematics
• Able to create and edit design and construction specifications.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Registered Professional Engineer in at least one of 50 USA States
• Engineering experience in design of communication projects for Utilities or Public Safety or carrier networks.
• Familiar with multiple wireless network system architectures, dispatching considerations, antenna and feedline selection, coverage test methods.
• Microwave system design experience: link budgets, site evaluation, path feasibility evaluation, on-site path studies, specification of equipment, antennas, feedlines, and diversity measures.
• Familiar with lightning protection and EMI prevention: Bonding, grounding, design and installation of GPR and surge protection equipment
• Installation and troubleshooting any or all the above in the field
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Typical office/home office environment.Physical Demands: Sitting, talking, grasping, hearing, keyboard input, driving, seeing, writing, reaching, stooping, crouching, walking, standing for extended periods of time. Ability to travel if needed.
ENS: Eng & Technical Specialties
Job Segment: Engineer, Construction, Electrical Engineering, RF Engineer, Electrical, Engineering