RELX INC Senior Software Engineer-Remote in Topeka, Kansas
Senior Software Engineer
About Our Team: Our collaborative team uses Scrum and select Extreme Programming practices, including user stories, automated testing, and continuous integration. We use GitHub pull requests and peer-review the code we write. We practice “dual-track agile,” interleaving discovery and prototyping with product development activities.
About the Role: As a Senior Software Engineer on our development squad, you will help grow our newly released product in line with market needs and increase integration with the wider Elsevier brand. Apply your creativity, past experiences, and technical chops to help us find opportunities to radically improve workflows and overall user experience and streamline our operations and codebase.
· Collaborating on product ideation, technical approach and solution design
· Translating product requirements into clear technical designs
· Performing technical “spikes” to explore solutions and reduce uncertainty
· Building Web applications and services, employing clean code and best practices
· Creating and maintaining automated tests
· Participating in peer code reviews
· Enacting our agile development process with a commitment to continuous improvement
· Be an expert in client-side Web development (React preferred)
· Have experience writing automated tests (TDD experience desirable)
· Possess basic object-oriented design skills
· Be proficient in a high-level programming language (Python preferred)
· Have server-side Web development experience, including REST, APIs, JSON
· Have some experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred)
· Be able to communicate clearly in person and in writing
· Be willing to collaborate with other developers, business stakeholders, and customers
Work in a way that works for you
We promote a healthy work/life balance across the organization. With an average length of service of 9+ years, we are confident that we offer an appealing working prospect for our people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, family leave and tuition reimbursement, we will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and long-term goals.
Working flexible hours - flexing the times when you work in the day to help you fit everything in and work when you are the most productive
Working with us
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. Here, you will find an inclusive, agile, collaborative, innovative and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, we promote a diverse environment with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
Working for you
At Elsevier, we know that your wellbeing and happiness are key to a long and successful career. These are some of the benefits we are delighted to offer:
· Comprehensive, multi-carrier health plan benefits
· Disability insurance
· Dependent Care and Commuter Spending Accounts
· Life and Accident Insurance
· Retirement Benefits (Salary Investment Plan/Employer Stock Purchase Plan)
· Modern Family Benefits, including adoption and surrogacy
A global leader in information and analytics, we help researchers and healthcare professionals advance science and improve health outcomes for the benefit of society. Building on our publishing heritage, we combine quality information and vast data sets with analytics to support visionary science and research, health education and interactive learning, as well as exceptional healthcare and clinical practice. At Elsevier, your work contributes to the world’s grand challenges and a more sustainable future. We harness innovative technologies to support science and healthcare to partner for a better world.
Are you ready to help us progress science and health? Our technology leads to innovation, so join a forward-thinking digital business that is tackling world-scale challenges and align your ambitions with our passion for driving global knowledge-sharing.
RELX is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120..
RELX is a global provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across industries.
We help scientists make new discoveries, lawyers win cases, doctors save lives and insurance companies offer customers lower prices. We save taxpayers and consumers money by preventing fraud and help executives forge commercial relationships with their clients.
In short, we enable our customers to make better decisions, get better results and be more productive.