Wichita State University* Assistant Professor (Sub-Discipline: Archaeological Anthropology) in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12458477
Position Title: Assistant Professor (Sub-Discipline: Archaeological Anthropology)
Position Number: 996379
Full-Time/Part-Time? Full Time
Summary of Responsibilities: The Department of Anthropology at Wichita State University seeks a student-focused colleague to expand our program strengths in undergraduate and graduate training in North American archaeology beginning in August 2023. The applicant should have ability or experience to teach undergraduate and masters-level courses in classroom and field contexts, such as Introduction to Archaeology, Introduction toGIS, Field Methods in Archaeology, Cultural Resource Management, and to develop courses in their own specialty. We seek an anthropological archaeologist with experience inGISand remote sensing who is willing to continue development of existing and future field projects, including archaeological field schools, in the Plains. The Department of Anthropology at Wichita State expects all faculty to promote academic success through effective mentorship and recruitment of students, the pursuit of external funding and grant support for student and faculty research, scholarly publication and public outreach, and the expansion of inclusive teaching and research practices.
Minimum Education - Ph.D. in Anthropology, with a focus in Archaeology, in hand at time of employment.
- Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate coursework in anthropological archaeology in classroom, field, laboratory, and online settings as assigned by the department chair
- Experience inGISand remote sensing technology
- Experience in North American archaeology
- Record of Technical or Scholarly Publication (inclusive of works in review, peer reviewed, and technical reports)
US Export Compliance Requirement -N/A
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate coursework in anthropological archaeology
- Ability to direct independent research programmes in archaeology
- Basic computer literacy in support of scholarly activity
- Ability to successfully educate and empower a diverse student population.
Required Licenses, Certificates & Registrations
Location: Wichita, KS - WSU Main Campus
Salary Information: Proposed Salary or Hourly Rate - Commensurate with education and experience
Eligible for Shift Differential? No
Benefits Eligible? Yes
Position Description Information:
- Ability to teach existing coursework in archaeology, such as: Introduction to Archaeology, North American Archaeology, World Archaeology, Cultural Resource Management
- Ability to develop new courses to complement and expand archaeological curriculum
- Experience in external funding and grant proposal writing
- Willingness to lead archaeological field experiences and coursework in the Plains
- Experience in the archaeology of the greater Plains
Regular Hours of Work: Work hours vary and are dependent on course times, student and departmental needs.
- Outdoor fieldwork, indoor teaching, and laboratory work.
- The temperature and humidity of the building fluctuate.
Proposed Job Duties:
- Responsibility / Duty: Teaching (lecturing and directing students in class, online, and/or independent/arranged classes at graduate and undergraduate levels, preparing for classes, creating examinations and assignments, creating appropriate syllabi, grading, academic advising and professional student mentorship) Importance: (E) Essential Percentage 55%
- Responsibility / Duty: (professional ex ernal grant activity and publications, within departmental, interdepartmental research, inter-university research, inclusion of students in research efforts) Importance: (E) Essential Percentage 35%
- Responsibility / /Duty: (Serving on University and/or College and/or Departmental committees, special projects as assigned by the Departmental Chair, public presentations and working with local/regional/national community organizations) Importance: (E) Essential Percentage 10%
Physical Demands / Physical Requirements - Physical Activity:
Activity Walking, Standi