Kansas Employer Bus Mechanic (B) - 317 - Vehicle Maintenance in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12406099
This is semi-skilled work involving the maintenance of buses or related components.Work is supervised, monitored, assisted, and sometimes inspected by a higher-level mechanic or a supervisor.\ \ Work hours are 4:30 PM to 1:00 AM (Days off: Sunday and Thursday)
Examples of Work Performed
- Ability to perform gasoline engine tune ups and repairs.
- Lubricates U-joints, steering components and chassis.
- Services transmissions and rear axles.
- Removes and replaces mufflers, tailpipes and other exhaust components.
- Removes, reconditions, replaces, and adjusts brakes.
- Maintains written record of work performed.
- Performs the duties of Bus Mechanic\'s Helper or Bus Utility Worker when needed.
- Makes unassisted trade outs and/or on-street minor repairs in order to return bus to garage or back into service.
- Removes, repairs, rebuilds or replaces diesel and gas engine bolt on components.
- Removes, repairs, rebuilds or replaces brakes, pumps, cylinders, suspension, drive train, air conditioning and electrical systems.
- Completion of work assignments will require the operation of a vehicle.
- The examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work
- Knowledge of all tools and equipment used in the trade and the ability to use these tools to perform repair work on vehicles/equipment.
- Working knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply information contained in technical repair manuals.
- Ability to provide own hand tools as listed in maintenance plan and storage cabinet.
- May require the ability to climb onto equipment and make repairs as much as 25\' in height.
- Ability to lift, bend, squat, kneeling, stoop, and twist as necessary to remove, repair, recondition or replace body, interior, suspension, and rive train parts and glass.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to fluids and solvents used in vehicle repair work.
- Ability to perform continuous manual and physical labor while standing on cement floor.
- Ability to lift/carry bulky objects weighing up to60 pounds (any heavier than 60 pounds then need to be able to lift with the assistance of another person) for distances of up to 100 feet. Ability to exert up to 100 pounds of pressure using tools that tighten, loosen or cut.
- Ability to push/pull with up to 85 pounds of force to maneuver/handle equipment around work area.
- Ability to maneuver and crawl into confined/tight spaces, and utilize a creeper as necessary to complete work.
- Ability to perform repetitive/sustained forward as well as repetitive/sustained overhead work.
- Ability to handle/operate necessary equipment to complete work.
- Ability to work in inclement and extreme weather conditions including (but not limited to) rain, snow, ice, sleet, heat, and humidity.
- Ability to demonstrate safe body mechanics while performing/completing work.
- Ability to perform all above mentioned tasks on an infrequent basis, or higher.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing.
- Ability to acquire andmaintain avalid Kansas Commercial Driver\'s License (CDL) with Air Brake and Passenger endorsements within three months of hire.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
- Ability to use acetylene torch and mig welders effectively.
- Ability to learn diagnostic procedures of mechanical, hydraulic, A/C and electrical systems.
Require Experience and Training
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of experience performing work related to the maintenance and repair of vehicular equipment and a minimum of three years of unrestricted licensed driving experience are required. An equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered.Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check.Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need of a sponsorship.\ \ This position is represented by Teamsters Local 795 and includes Teamsters pension.\ \ This position may require pre-employment testing at any or all of the following: Workforce Center, City of Wichita Human Resources department or the Transit department.\ \ This is a safety-sensitive position that requires the most recent two-year Drug and Alcohol testing records and accident records.\