Wichita State University Curator of Special Collections & University Archivist & Assistant Professor in Wichita, Kansas
This job was posted by https://www.kansasworks.com : For more information, please see: https://www.kansasworks.com/jobs/12458515
Position Title Curator of Special Collections and University Archivist and Assistant Professor\ Position Number 997998\ Full-Time/Part-Time? Full Time
Summary of Responsibilities This is a faculty position in an active library environment. The successful curator will commit to developing and promoting the use of the collections in support of learning, scholarship and research by student, faculty, community, and global users. The curator is responsible for building book, manuscript and archival collections through gifts and purchases; coordinating with the dean on matters involving donors; establishing policy and procedures for the unit; working with colleagues to increase access to and use of the collections on-site and remotely; determining priorities for processing, digitization and preservation; and promoting the unit through instruction, presentations, exhibits, and print or electronic media. This position coordinates and collaborates on special projects with other units, departments, and institutions. The successful curator is expected to remain well-informed on current and emerging archival trends, technologies and standards, contribute to the profession through service and scholarship, and demonstrate a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives that grow and develop staff, collections, and outreach.
Minimum Education: MLSor equivalent degree from an American Library Association accredited program
Preferred Education: Additional graduate degree in history, American studies, or subject related to a Special Collections focus area. Coursework focused on special collections or archival administration.
- 1. Four years of professional experience working with special collections and/or archives within an academic research library or large research collection including increasing administrative responsibility for managing the collections and staff.
- 2. Demonstrated experience using current archival technologies including a content management system for user services, collection discovery, and preservation in both physical and on-line environments.
- 3. Demonstrated experience working effectively on teams.
- 4. Experience developing and providing outreach and educational programming.
- 1. Five or more years of professional experience with three years of managerial responsibilities in a Special Collections or Archival unit located in a medium to large academic or special library.
- 2. Experience developing and presenting class sessions,workshops, or public programming.
- 3. Experience working with individual and organizational donors.
- 4. Successful experience in fundraising or grant writing.
- 5. Demonstrated experience with CONTENTdm, Archive-It and/or ArchivesSpace.
- 6. Scholarship and professional participation related to special collections and archives
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 1. Demonstrated knowledge of collection development and management for archives, rare books, and special collections; archival principles and preservation techniques; and contemporary and emerging digital and archival standards.
- 2. Demonstrated knowledge of content management software programs commonly used in Special Collections/Archives.
- 3. Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work effectively with faculty, students, donors, colleagues, researchers, and community members.
- 4. Ability to work independently.
- 5. Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking skills.
- 6. Demonstrated commitment to donor development.
- 7. Demons rated knowledge of intellectual property rights and issues for a variety of media types.
- 8. Demonstrated potential to meet the University Libraries tenure and promotion requirements for librarianship, scholarship, and service at a level that would merit tenure and promotion.
Licenses, Certificates and Registrations
User Export Compliance N/A
Additional Information: Presentation will be required. While this position is open until filled, priority review will be given to applications received before January 10, 2023.
Location: Wichita, KS - WSU Main Campus
Regular Hours of Work: M-F, 8-5, evenings and weekends as required
Environmental Factors: Cooler temperatures (65-70F)
Salary Information Pay Information - minimum low \$60K
Eligible for Shift Differential? No\ Benefits Eligible? Yes
Physical Demands/Physical Requirements -