VMware Staff Engineer I - SD-WAN (Dataplane) - Opportunity for Working Remotely in Wichita, Kansas
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
The VMware team is building on its market-leading foundation of SD-WAN (Software Defined Wide Area Network) towards a market-leadership position in SASE (Secure Access Service Edge). These plans span product improvements in VeloCloud Edge and Gateway networking/security functions, primarily in data and control plane architectures as we look to scale out our solution and pivot towards a cloud delivered network service. You will also be involved in white boarding, problem solving, troubleshooting of SASE edge and Gateways encompassing Data and Control plane. If you are passionate about Networking, data plane infrastructure, Cloud, Systems and Security then you are at the right place. The VMware SASE team has a very inclusive and flexible culture which will let you lead and move across pillars to expand your breadth and technology learning curve.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
· You will design and develop core control and data plane features and services for VMware SASE edge and gateway.
· Within 30 days of employment, you will become competent with VMware SASE’s deployment and high-level design.
· You will work closely with Engineering QE, Product Management, Support and Tech Ops to provide day-to-day operations for the SASE portfolio.
· Within 90 days of employment, you will be providing high level design overview in your area of learning and pillar ownership. You will be providing code review in control and dataplane areas, fixing issues in code with troubleshooting and debuggability.
· Within 180 days you will be able to work on field escalations and help on a rotation basis with on-call support.
· Within 360 days along with the above, you will be reviewing new feature request requirement and putting together functional and design specifications in SASE areas. You will be a self-starter and lean into projects until the best solution is found.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Your regular activities may be modified to suit your professional strengths, but you can expect a variety of the following assignments:
· You will work as an expert Technical Lead in the team.
· Collaborate effectively with other staff to solve complex problems
· Assist with debugging and verification of defects in your own and others' work
· Daily you will make hands on changes in SASE/SDWAN data plane code using C programming, with emphasis on multi-threaded programming
· Optimize and innovate to improve data plane infrastructure and security crypto stack
· Build cloud first scalable software
· You will work on Jira and Confluence fixing bugs in software code and writing design know-how docs.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this is role is Kartik Kamdar. Kartik leads our SD-WAN product portfolio and is chartered to deliver on an ambitious product agenda and SaaS transformation across both the product and our delivery mechanisms. In this group, we strive to empower our high calibre and highly motivated team to deliver on our agenda with a clear strategy and low-friction processes. While we have a lot of work to do in this area, we have the right mindset and team to tackle the challenge.
The team is geographically distributed and remote friendly, although we are all still learning about how best to be productive and effective when we often haven’t met our colleagues face to face! The team still retains a lot of its start-up roots of being scrappy and agile but is now balancing that with the expectations and needs of large banks, retailers, and other such customers who demand stability, quality, and predictability.
Where is this role located?
This team has been historically based out of VMware’s Palo Alto office however this role is open to fully remote and can be done anywhere in North America. If you live in the surrounding area, you will have the option to work from the office partly or fully if you wish to do so.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
· Employee Stock Purchase Plan
· Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
· Generous Time Off Programs
· 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
· Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
· Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
· Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
This job may require the candidate to travel and/or work from a facility that requires full vaccination prior to entry.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2022-06-07
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.